Monder Law Group - News
What Do Different Types of Criminal Lawyers Deal with?
If you’re facing charges for an offence, there are certain things that are good to know. For example, you should know about the differences between types of criminal lawyers, as well as about the various aspects of a criminal attorney’s job.
Sometimes, however, you don’t really need to know much about criminal lawyers, but rather the characteristics of criminal and civil courts. Perhaps you don’t even have to hire a criminal lawyer in San Diego, CA. But, for now, let’s suppose you do, and let’s see what they deal with.
What are the types of criminal lawyers?
When it comes to criminal lawyers, there are two basic types of criminal lawyers people most often familiar with – a criminal defense lawyer, which is usually referred to simply as a criminal lawyer, and a prosecutor.
The job of a criminal defense attorney operating under the California Department of Justice is to represent the defendant who is being charged with a crime. Their job is to prove that there is insufficient evidence to suggest guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
On the other hand, prosecutors are in charge of representing the government in criminal cases, and their job is absolutely contrary to the job of a criminal defense lawyer. Prosecutors must present evidence to support that the defendant is, in fact, guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
However, as we’ve said, these are the basic two categories of criminal attorneys. There are subcategories, that is, even more different types of criminal lawyers within these two main groups.
What are the subtypes of criminal lawyers?
There are five basic subcategories of criminal lawyers:
- Public defender – The job of a public defender is to provide legal representation and advice in low quality cases, and to represent people who cannot pay for a criminal defense lawyer.
- Panel lawyer – Every government has a committee that consists of private defense lawyers. These lawyers receive hourly monetary compensation and have a complementary function to public defenders.
- Private lawyer – When the defendant is capable of paying for legal representation, private lawyers come into play. They are paid by an individual or an entity to represent them in court.
- Legal aid – Various non-profit organizations employ legal aids who serve as representation to an indigent defendant. This means that every state has an organization tasked with employing lawyers whose job is to represent people who cannot hire private attorneys.
- District lawyer – The government prosecutes individuals who are suspected of having committed a crime. The government employs district lawyers to be available upon request to prosecute a defendant in more serious cases.
What are the types of cases criminal lawyers deal with?
We’re going to break down the most common types of criminal offenses into seven categories:
- Property cases – There are usually no casualties or injured victims in these cases, such as arson, burglary, vehicle theft, and larceny-theft.
- Drug abuse cases – These violations are very similar to those involving unlawful possession, manufacturing, and use of illicit substances.
- Alcohol-related cases – Such criminal cases have to do with alcohol, and can involve anything from driving under the influence, drunkenness, and various liquor laws that can prohibit selling, making, or buying alcoholic beverages.
- Violent crime cases – Violent crimes are, unfortunately, most familiar of all criminal cases, and can involve forcible rape, robbery, as well as non-negligent mansluaghter and murder.
- Disorderly conduct cases – If an action of the defendant has caused public disturbance, it classifies as a disorderly conduct case. However, what constitutes disorderly conduct greatly varies depending on the state.
- Fraud cases – Fraud encompasses all the crimes where misrepresentation is involved, and it usually involves financial loss. Some examples are identity theft, inheritance scam, and lottery scam.
- Cases involving family – Perhaps the most common criminal offenses, family offenses include violent acts performed within a family, such as endangering physical, economic, or mental well-being of a family member. These cases also involve various sex offenses.
“Is there a renowned criminal lawyer in San Diego, CA, to represent my case?”
If you’re in need of legal representation in the criminal court, you’ll need ace attorneys, and you can find them at Monder Criminal Lawyer Group – the finest collection of criminal defense lawyers in San Diego.
We are a dedicated team of seasoned criminal law adepts who always give it their all to have our client’s voice heard in the courtroom. So, if you like visiting Little Italy to clear your head, why not stop by our offices for a consultation?