Monder Law Group - News
Attorney Vik Monder Is Reuniting Family Members In San Diego Jails During the Coronavirus Pandemic
On April 1, 2020, the presiding judge in San Diego ordered the immediate release of hundreds of individuals in custody in San Diego Jails while the courts are closed during the coronavirus pandemic. Attorney Vik Monder is helping individuals and their families understand the recent orders that have been made by the local courts in San Diego, the Chief Justice in California and the Governor of California. These orders are consistent in nature and their purpose is to promote the safety of all individuals facing this Covid19 pandemic.
Stricter safety measures imposed across the state
Last month, Governor Newsom ordered that all Californians remain at home and keep a safe distance from others in public places while the spread of coronavirus continues throughout our County and the State of California. Our local leaders have implemented similar orders so that individuals would be less likely to be exposed to the virus.
This includes keeping a minimum of six feet away from other individuals and not having more than 10 people in a public space at any given time. This is extremely detrimental to those individuals who remain in custody as they cannot afford to follow the orders given by our elected officials.
Who is eligible for release from custody?
The District Attorney in San Diego has been working with the Sheriff Department to release individuals who are currently being arrested for minor offenses throughout San Diego. If anyone is looking at a maximum of 60 days custody at the disposition of their case, they are released to appear with a future court date for their arraignment.
The individuals who remain in custody are being provided an accelerated custody credit to eliminate a maximum of 30 days actual custody to their overall sentence. This applies to any individual that has already been sentenced on their case and has served at least 90% custody time already. The 30-day custody exception only applies if the remaining time in custody is less than 10% of their overall sentence.
What happens after an inmate is released from custody?
Individuals released from the Sherriff Department in San Diego still have to check in with mandatory supervision or probation as soon as they are released. As of right now, current inmates that are being released must check in with their probation officer within 72 hours of being released from custody or they will find themselves looking at violations which will cause them to go back into custody and do more serious time on the violation.
The Sherriff Department is helping the San Diego Superior Courts prevent the spread of the coronavirus while new inmates are being processed every single day. Starting next week, the San Diego District Attorney and the San Diego Superior Court will only hear in custody cases where individuals may be able to post bond so they can be released early from custody to fight their cases from outside jail rather than waiting for months to be heard by a judge.
Look out for your health & safety, we’ll look out for your defense
It is inevitable that the jails will become overcrowded and vulnerable to a rise in infections during the time courts are closed due to this pandemic. Attorney Vik Monder is helping families try and have inmates released early in order to keep them safe from the coronavirus pandemic. If you have a loved one in custody that is suffering from serious medical issues and whose case has not yet been resolved, please contact Vik Monder, an experienced San Diego criminal attorney at 619-405-0063.
Attorney Vik Monder has a track record of obtaining the best results in the San Diego courts. If you have any questions regarding your case during this coronavirus pandemic, contact Vik Monder today. Please call for a free consultation at 619-405-0063.