Monder Law Group - News
What Is the Job of a Criminal Defense Lawyer?
If you ever get in trouble with the law, it would be good for you to understand what the job of criminal defense attorney is. Why? Well, if you end up being prosecuted for a crime you may or may not have committed, or are facing legal action against you for failing to report a crime, you need to find the best criminal defense attorney to represent your case.
In order to find the finest criminal lawyer San Diego has to offer, you first need to understand the scope of work that that person does for a living, and then judge his or her capabilities based on the information you possess. Let us help you get familiar with the work criminal lawyers do.
What does a criminal defense lawyer do?
The job of a criminal defense lawyer with the Department of Justice in the Southern District of California is a complicated one, and it consists of many steps during the process of defending your case. The best way to explain exactly what a criminal defense lawyer does is to break it down.
- Assignment – The first step is for the criminal defense attorney to be assigned a case. This can happen either by the defendant contacting the attorney directly, or by the court assigning a lawyer to a defendant.
- Interview – The criminal defense lawyer has to meet with the client and gather as much information on the case as possible, in order to represent the client’s interests to the best of his or her abilities.
- Investigation – A criminal defense attorney must also perform a detailed investigation into every aspect of the case so as to be able to come up with a defense strategy. A criminal lawyer can interview the police, talk to witnesses, and investigate the evidence.
- Evidence analysis – Once the criminal lawyer investigates the evidence and gathers it all in one place, he or she must perform a detailed analysis of all the evidence pursuant to the case. This is a vital part of envisioning a strategy.
- Client consultation – A criminal defense attorney has to remain in constant communication with the client. It is the only way to keep the client informed about the case, but also the only way for the lawyer to get additional comments on the case and the evidence.
- Jury selection – Criminal lawyers are also involved in the process of selecting the most suitable jury members for the case. A criminal attorney can choose to remove certain jurors if he or she finds them unsuitable for the proceedings.
- Plea bargaining – During the case proceeding, it is the job of a criminal defense lawyer to constantly negotiate a potential plea bargain for the client. Sometimes, it is better to secure a deal than go to court.
- Trial – Criminal lawyers are present in the courtroom at all times to represent their client’s case to the best of their abilities and to fight for their client’s freedom.
- Sentence – Criminal defense lawyers also represent their clients during sentencing. A criminal attorney is able to negotiate the potential amount of time served, discuss plea bargaining, and try to arrange an alternative to incarceration in the worst-case scenario.
How can a criminal defense lawyer help you?
There are many ways in which a criminal defense lawyer can help you, and many of those ways have been stated above, However, let’s see in what other manner a criminal defense attorney can prove helpful when representing your case.
- Emotions – Having a criminal defense lawyer by your side will alleviate a lot of stress from a very stressful situation.
- Education – A criminal attorney will provide invaluable insight into the inner mechanisms of the law, making you understand what’s going on.
- Witnesses – A criminal lawyer will hire expert witnesses to defend your case.
- Investigators – Also, a criminal lawyer is able to hire good private investigators to obtain additional evidence, witness statements, etc.
- Negotiations – Criminal defense attorneys are excellent negotiators, and you’ll need their negotiating skills to get a sentence as favorable as possible.
- Resources – Finally, it is difficult to do everything on your own. A good criminal defense lawyer has access to invaluable resources that can be harnesses toward securing a “not guilty” verdict.
“Where can I find the best criminal attorney to represent my case?”
If you’re in San Diego, and you’re looking for the best criminal defense attorney to help you with your case, there is only one address you should go to – Monder Criminal Lawyer Group. Vik Monder is an experienced criminal defense lawyer in San Diego who has assembled a stellar team to help him help you. Together, we are capable of representing your case in the best way possible. If you’re taking a stroll through the Gaslamp Quarter to take your mind off the problems, take a detour to our office and we’ll help you walk happily again!