Monder Law Group - News
5 Drug Possession Penalties
Depending on the type of possession you’re charged with, as well as the unique circumstances of your case, you could be facing several different charges necessitating help from one of San Diego, CA’s most reputable drug possession lawyers. However, before you hire an experienced professional to help you, it’s worth exploring what the potential punishments you could be facing are and adequately prepare for your court proceedings.
What are the penalties for drug possession?
Every drug possession charge is subject to a wide range of potential penalties in accordance with the specificities of your case and existence of any related crimes. The severity of your penalty can depend on a variety of factors, including the type of durg in question and the unique circumstances surrounding your case. That being said, there are five main penalties you could face for drug possession:
- Fine: There are many convictions for drug possession that only result in a fine that can range anywhere from one hundred dollars to one hundred thousand dollars, depending on the severity of the crime and related charges.
- Incarceration: Another possible outcome when charged with a more serious type of drug possession involves jail time. Prison sentences can vary depending on the exact circumstances of your crime and the drugs you were found in possession of. They range from a couple of days in prison to upward of ten years.
- Probation: This type of punishment usually accompanies other penalties, such as rehabilitation, fines, and jail time. If you receive the sentence of probation you have to check with a probation officer on a regular basis and comply with terms of probation, for example refraining from using drugs. Failing to follow said terms can result in the court revoking your probation and you continuing to serve a prison sentence.
- Diversion: This sentence is very similar to diversion and it’s usually implemented for first-time offenders. Diversion allows you to enter a behavior modification and counseling program which means you have to comply with specific terms over the course of 6 months and often longer. If you successfully complete this program, the prosecution will drop all the charges. If not, the prosecutor will reopen your possession case.
- Rehabilitation: Finally, you can avoid a prison sentence if you undergo a rehabilitation period of treatment for your drug addiction alongside your probation sentence.
What crimes are related to drug possession?
In California, there are three most commonly encountered related crime alongside drug possession, and they are:
- Possession of a controlled substance with the intention of selling it.
- Transportation and sale of a controlled substance.
- Being under the influence of a controlled substance.
Which lawyer in San Diego, CA should I hire for my drug possession case?
Facing any time of penalty for drug possession isn’t easy and it can really take a toll on you. That’s why you need to do your part in preparing for your case by exploring the details about drug possession in California and knowing what the different types of drug possession charges there are. This way, you’ll at least know what defense strategy you could implement in your case. However, why not let experienced attorneys take over in your stead?
At Monder Criminal Lawyer Group, we’ve assembled a team of expert attorneys capable of professionally assessing all the aspects of your case and offer the most suitable possible defense strategy for your unique circumstances. You can count on our assistance whether you’ve been caught in possession in Serra Mesa or any other surrounding communities of San Diego. Schedule your free consultation by contacting us today!