Monder Law Group - News
How Do I Find a Good Criminal Defense Lawyer if I Need One?
Finding a good criminal defense lawyer is not easy, but it is definitely worth it. Asking yourself “Who is the best criminal attorney near me?” is probably the first questions you should ask yourself if there is a possibility of you being charged with a crime, or if you’ve failed to report a crime.
You need to be aware of the job a criminal defense attorney does, and you need to know that you can get adequate help if you seek it. And, if you do want help from a qualified lawyer, you need to know how to find a good one!
Why do you need a criminal defense lawyer?
When you’re in trouble with the law, it is always advisable to hire a criminal defense lawyer to help you get your voice across. Although you can fight the California Department of Justice alone, it is rarely good to do so, and here’s why:
- Understanding of the Judicial System – This is perhaps the most important reason why you should hire a criminal defense attorney. Simply put, they understand how the justice system works. All of it can be quite confusing in its intricacy, but not for an experienced lawyer.
- Relationships with the Prosecution – Although they fight on the different sides of the fence, there are many instances of prosecutors and defense attorneys developing friendly relationships. If you choose a defense attorney who knows your prosecutor, you could get a better plea deal, or you can negotiate a more affordable bond.
- Similar cases – Chances are, your case is not the first case of its kind to fall on the desk of a criminal defense attorney. If your lawyer is an experienced one, he or she will have dealt with a case similar to yours in the past, which gives them precious knowledge to better represent your case.
- Protecting your future – A professional criminal defense lawyer is there to fight for your future. This means either having your case dismissed, or lessening your penalty and reducing your charges by keeping a felony out of your criminal record. Either way, you’ll have a better future with an experienced criminal defense lawyer at your side.
- Saving money – Spending money for a good criminal defense attorney will save you a lot of money in the long run, although it is definitely counterintuitive to think so. By helping you get the best possible outcome, they will help you pay a decreased fine, or keep your job, all of which ensures you end up with more money than you could have ended up with.
- Assessing the conduct of the law enforcement – There are legal limits to what law enforcement is allowed to do when trying to amount evidence. A criminal defense professional knows all the nuances of what is or is not allowed, which will help you secure adequate proceedings.
- Advice – Finally, a good criminal defense attorney is able to give you sound and sincere advice on the best possible course of action in your case. Sometimes, it is preferable to go to court, while, at other times, it is better to settle. Better to know the reality of the matter than to be reassured by false promises.
How do I find the best criminal defense lawyer in San Diego, CA?
The process of finding the best criminal defense attorney in San Diego is the same as finding the best lawyer anywhere else. So, here are our top tips for finding the perfect defense lawyer to represent your case.
- Responsiveness – Time is always of the essence, and even more so when faced with criminal charges. That is why you need a lawyer that is willing to quickly respond to emails or phone calls, and fast to arrange meetings.
- Speciality – Find a lawyer who specializes exclusively in criminal law. Experience is vastly important when it comes to adequately defending a client, and you can only get enough experience in criminal law by practicing it.
- Experience – But not experience in criminal law, but experience in the local courts. The more the attorney’s had a chance to deal with the local judges, the more familiar he is with them and how they function, and the greater are the chances of your trial reaching a favorable outcome.
- Reputation – Check the reputation of the lawyer you’re thinking of hiring. Use the Internet profusely, ask around, check Yelp… Try to find as much information as you can anywhere you can.
- Referrals – One of the foolproof ways of finding a good attorney is by asking your family, friends, and acquaintances for a referral.
- Basics – Yes, the law can be complicated, but a good lawyer should know the basics without having to look them up. An experienced criminal lawyer has to be able to explain the basic principles of your case to you without a fuss.
- Payment – You want to hire a lawyer that employs a clear fee payment structure. Everything has to be transparent and you have to know what you’re paying for in order to not be surprised when the bill arrives.
- Enthusiasm – Perhaps it sounds silly, but you want to hire a lawyer that is enthusiastic about your case, because it shows that he is willing to put in the extra hours necessary for securing a favorable outcome in your trial.
- Confidence – You need a lawyer who is able to represent you with confidence if the case ever reaches the courtroom.
- Listening – Finally, no matter how good a lawyer is, and no matter the previous successes, a lawyer cannot be considered the best choice for you if he is unwilling to listen to your thoughts and needs.
“Where do I find a criminal defense lawyer in San Diego that checks all these boxes?”
There is only one place in the whole of San Diego that is the answer to your question “Where can I find a competent criminal attorney near me?” – Monder Criminal Lawyer Group.
Vik Monder has worked tirelessly to assemble a team of criminal law professionals that will give it their all trying to secure a good outcome in your case. If you’ve been too stressed to enjoy those nice walks through the Seaport Village, come to us for a consultation and we’ll see you relaxed again!